My mom introduced me to this simple potato soup when I first got married. I was stumped as to what to serve for dinner, and she gave me the easiest yet very delicious recipe to serve my new husband.
- Half a loaf of Velveeta processed cheese, cubed
- 2-3 cans of chicken broth
- Quarter to half a bag of frozen cubed hash brown potatoes (depending on preference)
You wouldn’t believe how delicious such a simple recipe can be. This quickly became a favorite in our household, and I added some ingredients to make it my own:
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced carrots (the thinner they are, the faster they cook)
- 1/2 cup of bacon, cooked and crumbled
The great thing about this soup is you can really add so much to it, like green onions, corn, and broccoli.
Heat the chicken broth to boiling, then add cheese and continue to stir until well blended. Add carrots and other veggies, saving the potatoes for last (the potatoes cook the fastest in this case and you don’t want them to become too soggy). Once the carrots are tender, add potatoes and cook until soft. Serve immediately with a salad, corn on the cob, grilled chicken or garlic bread. Refrigerate the leftovers (oh, and you will want leftovers… it makes a great lunch!)